|Chris Hills, Jan 6, 2015, presenting to Spearfish Area Historical Society|
|Gold Bug Nelson, Black Hills|
Tinton got its name from "Tin" for the tin mining there and 'ton' from Cornish translation for 'town'. The peak population in 1927-28 was 300 during the week. On weekends the temporary people walked to the railroad to Iron Creek to catch the railroad out. The last person in Tinton left in 1961, making it one of the last Black Hills ghost towns.